ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number. It is a unique International Publisher’s Identifier number, which is meant for mono graphic publications. It identifies publisher and the title of publication. This 13 digit number is machine readable when converted into a EAN-13 barcode. You see this barcode, usually, on the back cover of books.
- Printed materials
- Micro forms
- Educational Videos or Movies
- Mixed media publications
- Microcomputer software (only educational)
- Atlases and maps
- Publications in Braille
- Electronic publications
- Advertising material (sales catalogs, price lists, prospectuses, publicity flyers, etc)
- Wall posters, Newspapers, leaflets
- Lists of exhibits without additional text
- Programs of theatrical, musical, and other performances
- Curricula of schools and colleges of all kinds
- Lecture and teaching material of manuscript character
- Calendars and diaries
- Forms & colouring books
- Journals and periodicals
-) No, it is not mandatory to print an ISBN number on your book. You can publish your book without ISBN. But it is recommended to have ISBN because it makes your book uniquely identifiable. Also its sale becomes easier at stores where they make bill using a barcode reader. If your book will not have an ISBN bar code –it will be difficult for selling store to make bill for the purchaser of your book.
Yes, hardcover (hard-bound, cloth-bound, hard-back) and paperback versions of the same book require separate ISBN numbers.
Any person or entity wanting to publish a book can now apply for ISBN.
- Self-publisher (an individual who wants to publish book on his/her own)
- Government Department
Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN is authorized to issue ISBN number in India. It is an agency under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
In order to get ISBN numbers you would need to send an application to Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN. In your application you have to provide the following information:
- Title of book
- Publisher (if you are publishing book on your own, just write “Self-Published”)
- Year of publication
- Place of publication
- Paperback or Hardback
- Your address for communication
In addition, you will also need to enclose the following along with the application form:
- Photocopy of the cover page
- Identification proof
- A self addressed envelop for return communication
Usually, if you have provided all the details in application form, you get ISBN within 8 weeks (two months)